Powered By Blogger

Sunday, April 12, 2009

What is this problem??!!

While laying in bed on Wednesday night, I had a tightening feeling across my chest along with a shortness of breath. It felt strange, especially given that I hadn't been doing anything physical and that I had never felt it before. After about an hour, I guess I simply fell asleep, not a lot to worry about, right??
The following morning, I woke up and got busy with my standard morning routine. Our daughter had a late night, so we decided that she could make it a slow morning, and I would give her a ride to school. I was filling out some paperwork for a doctor's appointment when the tightness & shortness feelings struck again. For whatever reason, the encore was bigger than the initial appearance. It hung around for more than three hours! I thought I'd heard of an MS symptom before that involved a tightening feeling around the chest and midsection. So, I "googled" it, and found enough to make me feel safe with the diagnosis of this being just another item that comes with the territory.

I will say that due to this episode, I was given an opportunity to experience what must have been my first panic attack. I must say, I took full advantage of that opportunity!! I wasn't so much afraid that I was having a heart attack, as I was just scared of this feeling that I couldn't take deep or at times even normal breathes without that leading to a little fit of rapid breathing. We contacted my neurologist's office, who advised that they wouldn't do anything until I got clearance by way of cardiac testing that I wasn't having problems with my heart.

I REALLY didn't think that was related to the problem I was having, but at the same time, I guess it is worth having that clearance, of not over looking the fact that MS has not, a and cannot declare my body off limits to other ailments of living. After all.... I am STILL A MAN!!!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

It goes without saying that you did the right thing. I remember my neurologist politely but firmly telling me during one visit that many people with MS think everything that goes wrong with their health is caused by MS - when it's not. Unfortunately MS sufferers are just as capable as everyone else of having additional ailments. I'm glad you got the clearance and clarity of at least knowing what's NOT wrong. Stay strong!

Kelley said...

I so hope I get to meet you in June for LL's reunion. While each of us are like amazing prisms, and I have only heard and read one small view of that prism, I know your light shines in all facets of light...and dark. Shine your light.