A couple of weeks ago I took a half day off to attend visitor's day for the Cental Texas Writing Project that Laura Lee Co-Directs. After listening to a couple of nice demos, we were given the option to complete a choice of four workstations.
Well, my heart nearly froze when among the choices I saw that Japanese word "Haiku", with a set of simple instructions
First line: five syllables
Second line: seven syllables
Third line: five syllables
I'll never forget that day in elementary school (no later than second grade)when I just could not for the life of me figure out how to get that thing written?! I'll admit, I can't say for sure that I wasn't playing around instead of getting the work done. I MAY have messed around with the time given, thus leading to me being held after school to finish a damned poem. Needless to say, mama was not happy whren she had to walk in to pick me up.
I really don't remember trying to write a haiku since that day. Maybe I did, but have since blocked the memory out.
I thought about it, then, I decided I would write MY haiku!
This is a Haiku that speaks to so many people in my life:
IF I WRITE:
IF I write "A WAY"
"A WAY" so YOU can read ME
Will YOU write ME back?
That was one of the best vaction days I've takern.
It meant even more the other day when Laura Lee told me that Charles asked her for a journal so he could write some of his thoughts. It reminded me that he had mentioned a similar idea to me before. He said he thought about writing things down, so he'd be sure he said them correctly.
It also made me think of myself, for years out here wanting to be sure to say everything correctly. "JUST SAY IT MAN! is what I told him.
Here's my second Haiku:
In a love full home
Be a great big fan of You
That home has more love
Now, HAIKU You!

1 comment:
Missing you so bad
Even closer when we meet
Again, we love you!
Laura Lee, Sheila, Charles
Post a Comment